While many of us are still buying physical media the adoption of digital media when it comes to movies is growing quickly. Fans looking to purchase films digitally had a few noteworthy options to choose from including Apple, Google, Microsoft, Vudu, Amazon, Fandango Now and UltraViolet. Many of the purchases from these services could be synced thanks to Movies Anywhere but fans still had their allegiances to certain services.
UltraViolet was a service that got the ball rolling when it came to digital movie and TV show purchases and had a strong fanbase amongst digital video fans. Sadly it seems that even with the broad use by fans it was not enough to keep them running.
I received an email today announcing the shutdown of the UltraViolet service as of July 31, 2019. You can read the email below.
We are writing to inform you that the UltraViolet service is planning to shut down on July 31, 2019. You are receiving this message because you signed up for an UltraViolet Library or for a service that created an UltraViolet Library for you
- Between January 31 and July 31, 2019
- You can continue to access your UltraViolet movies and TV shows through the retailer(s) linked to your UltraViolet Library.
- You can also continue to purchase new movies and TV shows and redeem digital codes by following the redemption instructions. Depending on the retailer, these new purchases and redemptions may or may not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
- Linking your UltraViolet Library to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption.
- After the shutdown date
- Your UltraViolet Library will automatically close and, in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers.
- You can continue to make online purchases and redeem codes, but these may only be available through that retailer, and will not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
What should you do now?
- As soon as possible, login at myuv.com and choose Retailer Services to verify the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library. If your Library is not currently linked to a retailer or if you would like to link to additional participating retailers, select one or more retailers to link to your UltraViolet Library.
- Don't unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows.
Look for further communications from UltraViolet and your retailers over the coming months, as some retailers may disconnect from UltraViolet before July 31.
Some details may be updated, so visit myuv.com/faq often for the most current information and answers to frequently asked questions.
Thank you for making UltraViolet part of how you enjoy digital entertainment. Please do not hesitate to contact customer support at [email protected] if you have additional questions.
The UltraViolet Team
I am sharing this email with our readers as some of you may not have received it plus if you haven't used the service in a while and have films residing there you may want to move/sync them elsewhere.
Do you use UltraViolet for your digital movies and TV shows? How do you feel it about closing? Sound off in the comments.