Dutch independent studio Abbey Games has revealed today the first details of their new title, strategy god game, Godhood. Set to be released on PC in 2019, Godhood takes place in a vibrant, primal world where players take on the role of a newborn deity, developing their own religion from scratch, all while managing their followers and challenging any other gods that stand in their way.
In Godhood, players create their own religion by tending to their flock of disciples as a young god. Set in ancient lands and viewed from an isometric perspective, the player’s followers cannot be directly controlled but are influenced by the choices and direction of their god. From selecting different virtues and vices, to building monuments and nurturing powerful prophets, the options available to newborn gods, to shape and lead, are plentiful. Conflict is inevitable, and through ritual combat, players will be able to challenge rival deities and their followers who dare to contest their claim to power and glory.
● Create your religion: Godhood lets players create the religion they wish topropagate. Will the players priests keep peace by giving human sacrifice to the sun or run around as lustful vegetarian barbarians? Creation is up to the player, and using these + many other options will set the course for what type of deity they want to be.
● Guide your disciples: Players define what is important for their followers, selecting virtues and vices, which guide them in how they live and what rituals they undertake. Through guidance, help disciples rise to become powerful prophets who train future generations, and carry the religion forward throughout the ages.
● Literally play god: As a god, influence is imparted through the use of a wide range of abilities and powers. Rather than having direct control over them, disciples react to the actions of their god and act of their own accord. Deciding what rituals to enact or which monument to build is key to a prosperous society and devoted following.
● Ritual combat: Other deities and religions battle for power and influence, leading to ritual combat with opposing gods. Known as ‘Sacraments’, players’ followers will need to prove their worth through the use of awe, persuasion, and brute force.
● Colourful art style: Charming visuals with bright, hand-drawn qualities depict the new and unknown world of Godhood with a lush, isometric perspective.
● Replayability: Powered by a deep simulation system, Godhood allows players to experiment with dozens of different religious combinations unlocking new secrets as they progress along a main storyline filled with battles, rituals, and challenging side quests.