Pioneer has one of the most impressive showings at CE Week when it came to car audio and home theater. Car audio continues to evolve at an extremely fast rate and if you couple that with the advancements of smart phones odds are that your vehicle will soon be just as connected to the web as your home. The crew at Pioneer showcased their AppRadio 3 head units which not only had the usual car audio bells and whistles but actually mirrored your smart phone screen right in the head unit for a safer in-car experience.
The AppRadio not only delivered a smooth built-in apps but used the existing smart phone apps for a seamless experience. If you own an iPhone 4S/5 Siri works through the receiver giving drivers access to a variety of Siri controlled iPhone functions including music selection, maps, reminders, calendars and of course listening and composing of text messages. Android owners are not left out as AppRadio makes use of Google Voice for hands-free calling. Pioneer has not only made the in-car experience more smart phone friendly but the integration also allows drivers to monitor their vehicles for OBD codes and gauge gas usage and speed which is something I am sure many drivers will welcome. Imagine being able to see the definition of a trouble code right from your car and without having to pay a mechanic to diagnose. It’s little things like that drivers will come to rely on more than they think. Drivers will have the option of picking the AppRadio 3 receivers with or without DVD/CD players which is great for those of us that occasionally want to throw a CD in and not stream via our data plans.
[showhide]FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PIONEER OFFERS THE MOST SMARTPHONE CONNECTIVITY OPTIONS – INCLUDES MIRRORLINK SUPPORT IN NEXT GENERATION APPRADIO
MirrorLink, iPhone and Android Connectivity Available in AppRadio 3 Models
LONG BEACH, Calif. (May 23, 2013) – Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. continues to offer consumers the most smartphone connectivity options for the car with two versions (SPH-DA210 and SPH-DA110) of its next generation AppRadio® 3 smartphone connected in-dash receiver. Expanding on Pioneer’s philosophy to enable consumers stay connected , both AppRadio 3 models feature compatibility with MirrorLink™ enabled smartphones in addition to the current AppRadio compatibility with both iOS (iPhone® 4/4S/5) and select Android™ OS smartphones. Additional features are also integrated into each model for enhanced smartphone control and added convenience, including voice control for Siri Eyes Free and Google® Voice Recognition, a revised graphical user interface, Bluetooth® audio streaming, and a built-in DVD/CD mechanism (SPH-DA210 model only).
“As the popularity and use of smartphones and smartphone apps continues to grow, consumer demand for a safe and intuitive method to utilize the power of the smartphone in the vehicle continues to rise as well. Additionally, there is now a wider variety of smartphone manufacturers and smartphone OS options to choose from,” said Ted Cardenas, vice president of marketing for the Car Electronics Division of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “Pioneer’s AppRadio 3 embraces these trends by offering expanded compatibility with many of the top-selling devices and providing in-dash playback, display and touchscreen control of select navigation, traffic, weather, music and other apps to enhance the driving experience and make practically any car into a connected car.”
Through the use of Pioneer’s free AppRadio application (available for both iOS and Android OS) and compatible third-party apps, both AppRadio 3 receivers offer control of supported app functions using similar touch and motion gestures of the connected smartphone devices on a high-resolution 7-inch capacitive touchscreen. Additional convenience and control incorporated in the two new models includes:
- MirrorLink – An in-vehicle connectivity standard created by the Car Connectivity Consortium (CCC), MirrorLink technology enables consumers to connect compatible smartphones to AppRadio 3 (or other compatible in-dash receiver) via a USB cable to access certain music and map applications for a more convenient and safer in-car experience. Similar to AppRadio Mode, MirrorLink is now integrated into AppRadio 3 receivers and offers a vehicle-specific interface and connectivity with MirrorLink certified devices from smartphone manufacturers such as Samsung, Nokia and others.
- Siri Eyes Free – Users of an iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 device can take advantage of Siri Eyes Free functionality with a touch of the AppRadio 3 touchscreen. When activated, Siri voice prompts play through the vehicle’s speakers and the user’s questions and commands are received and transmitted using the external microphone provided with both AppRadio 3 models. Siri Eyes Free provides access to many iPhone functions, such as music selection, listening to and composing text messages, Maps, calendar information, reminders, and more.
- Voice Recognition for Android – Users of compatible voice enabled Android smartphones can utilize Google Voice for hands-free calling by simply touching the microphone icon in the Contacts section of the Pioneer’s AppRadio App (version 2.0.0). Voice recognition can also be used to conveniently find and play stored music through Pioneer’s free of charge CarMediaPlayer App (version 1.2.0).
- Bluetooth – To maximize the connectivity options available in today’s most popular smartphones, both AppRadio 3 models offer both Bluetooth hands-free calling1 and Bluetooth audio streaming and wireless control of compatible devices. Each model includes Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) for wireless audio streaming and Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) version 1.3 for wireless control of devices and related metadata (if available) to be viewed directly on the Pioneer touchscreen display.
- Enhanced Touchscreen User Interface – Designed with the smartphone user in mind, the AppRadio 3 touchscreen user interface (UI) provides easy access to the most commonly used features such as apps, music and calling.
The AppRadio 3 follows the same clean and simple hardware aesthetics of its predecessor, utilizing minimal physical buttons, with the majority of functionality and control accessible and operated through the high-resolution 7-inch WVGA (800 x 480) capacitive touchscreen. The capacitive touch panel is used for all functions including the app interface, music control/playback, AM/FM radio, and Bluetooth functions. A total of four connectivity cable options2, sold separately, enable connections to more than 30 different smartphone devices available in the U.S.
Both AppRadio 3 models feature a built-in AM/FM tuner with RDS text information display (when available), MOSFET 50 Watts X 4 power, and dual preamp outputs. In addition, the SPH-DA210 model also includes a CD/DVD mechanism for playback of conventional media.
Pioneer’s SPH-DA110 and SPH-DA210 AppRadio 3 models will be available in July with suggested prices of $399 and $499 respectively. The smartphone connectivity cables range in suggested prices from $30 to $60.
For more information follow us on:
Twitter at twitter.com/PioneerUSA
Facebook at facebook.com/PioneerNorthAmerica
YouTube at youtube.com/pioneerelectronics
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. is headquartered in Long Beach, Calif., and its U.S. Web address is www.pioneerelectronics.com. Its parent company, Pioneer Corporation, is a preeminent manufacturer of high-performance audio, video and computer equipment for the home, car and business markets and is celebrating 75 years of innovation in the consumer electronics industry.
1Bluetooth functionality requires a compatible Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone. Certain Bluetooth features may not be supported by all compatible Bluetooth-enabled devices, and/or the functionality of such features may be limited in certain devices or by certain wireless carriers.
2Connectivity cables sold separately. CD-IU201N (iPhone 4/4S), CD-IH202 (iPhone 5), CD-AH200C (Android) and CD-MU200 (MirrorLink)
NOTE: Do not use your Pioneer system if doing so will divert your attention in any way from the safe operation of your vehicle. Always observe safe driving rules. In some states certain operations of devices while driving may be illegal. Where such regulations apply, they must be obeyed.
PIONEER and AppRadio are registered trademarks of Pioneer Corporation.
MirrorLink and the MirrorLink logo are trademarks of the Car Connectivity Consortium LLC.
ANDROID is a registered trademark of Google Inc.
iPhone and iPod are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
BLUETOOTH is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc.