For the last few weeks on MTR I have been discussing rumor casting choices for Spider-Man 4. As of right now it seems that Dylan Baker will finally become The Lizard,but like always it's never 100% concrete and as of last week there have been rumors of Black Cat making her film debut and being played by Rachel McAdams which is good casting in my book. I personally think that keeping the film closer to the books in pivotal to avoid the debacle that was Spidey 3. If you want to introduce characters then have a look at my suggestions.
Minor villains ( Didn't cast)- Should appear at the beginning of the films just to show them being caught and give them some screen time.Such as :
- The Shocker
- Speed Demon
Now regarding main antagonists (cuz we know they won't go back to one)
- Chameleon- A character that while not the most powerful would make a great secondary villain to work against Spider-Man. I would cast Tim Roth who played Abomination in the Hulk film
- Hydro-Man ( Considered a secondary villain but for effects purposes can moved up the ladder)-Hydro-Man is a special effects wet dream (no pun intended).After the excellent work in bringing the Sandman to life I wouldn't mind seeing him on-screen just to see how they would pull it off. I would cast James Marsden for the role.
- Kraven The Hunter- Kraven to me is a very well balanced foil for Spider-Man since he has no real powers but has keen hunting ability and feels Spidey makes for an excellent hunt. In using Kraven you can also use Chameleon as they are brothers and even toss in Kraven's love interest Calypso. Before giving my casting choice I'd recommend Kraven get a costume update just cause his normal costume is a bit weak . Kraven-Tchéky Karyo or Benicio Del Toro and for Calypso-Salli Richardson. The actors I selected not only look close their comic counter parts but have the acting chops to give these characters depth.
- Lizard- Dylan Baker already well on his way towards this character.
- Morbius – You need a great screen presence to play the tortured living vampire . I had a decent list of guys that could play him and feel that Alexander Skarsgård while already cast as Eric Northman on Tru Blood would be actor to convey the best screen presence and also to appear imposing to Spidey
- Scorpion- Jackie Earle Hartley screams Matt Gargan just on his look alone. After his great work in Watchmen I think this role would suit him. Scorpion was brought by Jonah Jameson in the books and as such could be brought into the film franchise the same way.
- Tombstone- Tombstone is considered by most a 2nd tier character,but to me he adds a great dynamic that plays well with Peter Parker's relationship to fellow Daily Bugle employee Robbie Robertson. Tombstone- Micheal Jai White or Chiwetel Ejiofor. In case you are wondering about my cast choice note that Tombstone is african american and only looks white because of the accident he suffered in his origin story.
- Vulture-Ahh good ole Vulture. A Spidey villain staple for years. Spider-Man has fought both young and old versions of the legendary character. It's hard to cast the senior citizen Vulture because it's a physical role and I am not sure an older actor would want to do it. I honestly would go with Ian McKellen or Patrick Stewart.
- Alastair Smythe & The Spider Slayers – You'd need someone smart yet also physical for Smythe's spider slayer transformation. I'd go with Guy Pierce or Ewan McGregor on this one
- Kingpin- In keeping with continuity I'd keep Micheal Clarke Duncan in the role since he plays it well and has the imposing frame to bring the character to life.
- Electro – One of Spider-man's mainstays and all around pain in the ass. I'd go with Sam Rockwell
These are casting choices which “I” personally feel would work. Feel free to share your choices and/or comments.